Cucumber farming in Nigeria
Cucumber is a well-known and eaten vegetable in Nigeria. It belongs to the same family as squash, pumpkin and watermelon. Cucumber like watermelon is made up of 95% water which means eating it during the dry season keeps you hydrated.
Benefits of Cucumber
Helps Manage stress
It contains multiple of vitamin B, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B5 and Vitamin B7. Vitamin B are known to help the feeling of anxiety and proffer some damaging effects of stress.
Protects the brain
It improve memory and protect cells from age related decline. An anti-inflammatory flavonol called fisetin plays an important role in all overall brain health
Reduces risk of cancer
It contains polyphenols that are called lignans which may help reduce the risk of breast, uterine, prostate and ovarian cancers.
Can be used a therapy to freshen breath. When part of a sliced cucumber is placed on the roof of your mouth, it helps get rid of mouth odor causing bacteria
Cucumber aids in digestion. It is enriched with two basic elements that are needed for digestion (water and Fiber)
Help maintain healthy weight
They are low in calories a cup of sliced cucumber contains just 16 calories.
Support heart health
Cucumber contains potassium which is associated with lower blood pressure levels. Balance potassium both inside and outside the cells regulates the body properly
It helps reduce unwanted inflammation.
Steps to Cucumber farming in Nigeria
Cucumber can be farmed all year long, both in dry and raining seasons. However for cucumber to grow well there land must be humid because cucumber in itself contains 95% water. The climatic and soil requirement for cucumber is 18 C – 24 C with a well-drained loamy soil and pH of 5.5 – 6.8
Climatic and soil requirement
The climatic and soil requirement for cucumber is 18 C – 24 C with a well-drained loamy soil and pH of 5.5 – 6.8
The bush should be cleared with a cutlass. Stumping should be done and a hoe can be used for making heaps or ridges. Ploughing, harrowing and ridging can also be done with the use of machines.
When planting, dig 2.5cm dip and pour the seeds give space of at least 50cm for proper photosynthesis to take place and for healthy growth.
Other practices for a healthy Cucumber farm
- Replanting of seeds to replace the seeds that did not germinate
- Removal of weak plants from a stand to give rise to one or two vigorous crop plants.
- Apply NPK 15:15:15 (200kg/Ha, four bags) at planting, also apply 250kg (5 bags) or 150kg (3 bags) of urea per hectare, five to six weeks after planting. Farmland manure, dropping s from the poultry/organic manure can also be applied.
- Weeding; this is done three to four times at regular intervals. It can be done manually using a hoe or chemically by the use of specified herbicides.
- Control of pests and diseases; it can be done anytime at regular intervals or by preventing it completely using appropriate chemicals.
Cucumbers can be harvested after 40-60days. It also depends on the climate condition of the area
Writing a concrete and custom Business plan can be very challenging and stressful. At informationhive media, we offer the best Business plan writing service that can be used in Nigeria, Africa and in fact all over the world. Contact us today for your custom Business Plan